Indian Cyclists Network

Hi,

This question might sound a bit naive but please bear with me. I have taken up cycling at the good old age of 29(hitting 30 soon :) ), never ever learnt how to ride a cycle during childhood(yeah, i didnt!!) and have no one else to guide me. So, here goes...

I have noticed that whenever i try to speed up on a level surface my feet keep losing contact with the pedals. I try building up a rhythm but somehow, everytime i try to do so i lose contact with the pedals and go off balance. On an incline, i can use as much pressure as i want but the same doesnt happen while on a straight road.

Please suggest what might be causing the problem(wrong shoes/slippers, incorrect posture et al) and how i should go about fixing it.

Views: 156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Possible causes : (1) Bike saddle too high for you, need to adjust (2) You are putting too much effort on the pedals on a level road (3) You are in the wrong gear (4) Wrong posture.

(1) Sit on the saddle and hold on to something. Then move one of the pedals to the lowermost position. Place your heel (with shoes worn) on this lowermost pedal. In this position your leg should be almost nearly straight in 6 o'clock position. If your leg is bent, your saddle is too low. If your leg is fully straight and straining, or heel not touching the pedal, your saddle is too high.

(2) On a level road you should apply just as much pressure as you need and relax.

(3) On level road ideal gear combination is F3/R6 or F3/R7.

(4) The correct posture is that during riding, your body must be bent forward with your hands resting on the handle grips and elbows slightly bent. If your elbows are bent more than 15 degrees, your handle bar is too high, or saddle too low.

Hope this will help.

Thanks a lot Basab :)

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/beginners-guide-to-essential-...

On top of what Basab mentioned, this site has valuable information for you. Although I learnt riding while I was a kid, this teaches something that is often overlooked. 

Thanks Anish :)

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Amit Bhowmik.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service