Banglore Biker Club aka BBC
Started: May 2007
Population of Banglore: Around 8 million
Pune Cycling Enthusiasts aka PCE
Members: 212 (234 members at http://www.zenofcycling.com
aka ZoC most of common in PCE, i consider PCE & ZoC one & same)
Started: August 2008
Population of Pune: Around 4.5 Million
It doesn't mean every person registered with mailing list do cycling & person not with mailing list don't go for cycling. I just picked data from both the groups for a general comparison. More specific to say these number of cyclist of the city are connect via Internet till 23rd October 2009
If we derive Cyclist : Population ratio for both the cities. Our city Pune is far behind banglore. I consider Pune much more favorable city for cyclists then Banglore, even both share same type of weather. Pune is gifted with number of Hill Stations around. But why still there less cyclists here. In Number of Articles on Pune city one line in common "Pune have very Poor local Transportation." And Always this line buzz the same question in my mind "Why still there less cyclists here ?" The Most interesting thing I Google is , once upon a time Pune was called "Cycling capital of India", but now its called "Motor cycle capital of India". Pune Cycle Prathisthan aka PCP email@example.com 92 members on mailing list (most of members of this group are not internet users), our umbrella institution for all the cycling activities happening is Pune is one of the oldest cycling community of India. Then why we are behind banglore in number of cyclists.
We love cycling & love to promote our community, no matter which city or country. My motive behind writing this Statistics of Cyclists comparing Pune & Banglore is just that we must learn number of things from BBC, how they are doing it in Banglore. And we will make our cycling community of Pune much bigger & much stronger. I hearty congrats Bhabani Shankar Mishra to initiate the Thunderbolts Biking Championship in Pune based on theme of Banglore Bicycle Championship.
Factors which we can work in Pune to Increase Number of Cyclists are:
(Please add more if you can)
1. In Pune, Cycling is always Promoted as mean to commute, not as a Adventure Sports (BBC do the same thing other way round). We need to Promote it as a Adventure Sport
2. In Pune wave of Cycling is still away from Information Technology Professionals. (In BBC there are more number of IT Professionals). IT Professionals from our group need to take this charge
3. Pune have more Generation X Cyclists (born between 1966-1976) then Generation Y Cyclists (born between 1977 - 1994). (BBC again other way round). We need to spread our mailing address/ ZoC URL & acknowledge our Activities in Colleges & places where Youths sparks
4. BBC do lots of activities other then cycle rides like Cycle Movie Shows, Radio Talks, T Shirts (with mailing list address printed), Bicycle Business Cards etc. We must follow these to fetch more Pune citizens into Cycling
5. In Pune Bike Stores are not parts of Cycling Community. (In Banglore Bike Stations are strong part of community). There are 4 major Bike Stations in Pune till date. Rider Owned Bicycles, Sai Baba Bicycles, Gulab Cycles, Surendar Cycles. Let us call them all for making our community strong. I felt really very happy while riding with Mr BS Talwar of Surendar Cycles in Critical Mass #5. We can give a page to all of them on zenofcycling.com where they can post there advertisements & rate list. So it will be very easy for new member of the community to get a new bike
6. It makes me crazy when i listen from any cyclist saying "Pollution Pollution, Cycle is the solution" or "Cycle Chaloo", or "Chalava Chalava Cycle Chalava...". This is not the way cycling should be promoted. All youth of the city who use Motorcycle see us as biggest fool & will never left their motorcycles & come with us . We need to find slogans which directly hit there mind & thoughts. We need to come with quantum slogans & method of promotions for new age
7. I request everyone on this mailing list to share their Rides & experience or any thing related to cycling they know. There are hardly 15-20 guys who keep posting again & again. I want to see atleast one post from everyone in the group fortnightly. Bikers come & make our community Stronger & bigger
Lets Brainstorm about the things we can do to make our cycling community stronger & bigger in Pune. Lets learn from Banglore Bikers club how they are making it big. And lets change the way cycle & cycling is looked & feel in our city, country & world.
(_) \(_)... Live Strong...