Dear Cycling Fraternity
You may be aware about the extended ban of cycles & non motorized transport (hand carts , cycle vans etc) in kolkata (virtually meaning a blanket ban) by Kolkata Police. We are working towards a Withdrawal of Restriction on Cycling in 174 thoroughfares in Kolkata and proposing cycle infrastructure for the city to support Non motorized transport - in line with MOUD , planning commission and recommendations of various experts.
We want the entire cycle fraternity across india to come out in support , we want to peacefully enegage wih the authorities to make them understand the benefits of cycle and non motorised transport.We request you to
- Organise cycle rides in your cities and send pictures with some banners in solidarity (plz put your city name cycle group name). We will present them to the kolkata police
- Researchers who can help us with putting together a stronger case for promoting cycle and nmt in kolkata.
- Solution experts to help us with drawing the solution.
Please reach out whoever is willing to volunteer some time and support (it will be much appreciated).
Such a ban is socially non-inclusive, inequitable and environmentally hazardous and is a suicide note for our beautiful city of joy. Please find attached some details about Switch ON and the blanket ban of non-motorized transport in Kolkata. We have submitted a representation to Kolkata Police, Transport Minister, KMC and KMDA and are organizing a press meet and mass cycle rally this weekend.
This sunday we are doing a cycle march - to urge the West Bengal Police to lift the blanket ban on cycles and non-motorized transport in Kolkata.
Facebook event - https://www.facebook.com/events/328270557318296/
Why the ban doesn't make sense?
This ban just doesn't make sense when the rest of the world is building cycle lanes and moving toward a more sustainable and equitable modes of transport.
- The petrol prices are sky rocketing, making it impossible for common man to afford private transport. Promoting alternative means of transport like cycling, is imperative.
- The City faces acute road congestion, with the average speed of traffic between 14 - 18 km (the humble cycle is much quicker)
- Kolkata has become the pollution Capital of India, vehicles being the biggest cause
- Non-motorized transport is imperative to most services we take for granted including milk, newspaper etc.
What are the Solutions?
By promoting cycling through cycle lanes, cycle sharing and regulations - the Government will not just help the traffic, but also the health of common man and the environment.
Switch ON & Ride 2 Breathe
WWF, Greenpeace, Public Relations Society of India, South Asian Forum for Environment
This is very sad & honestly very disappointing.
Hope the authorities wake up and lift the unnecessary ban & in fact, know the benefits of non-motorized transport.
More power to you brother!
Plz sign the petition and open letter to Chief Minsiter Mamata Banerjee to revoke the ban on cycles -