Indian Cyclists Network

Now that high speed rides are getting more regular, the possibility of getting into situations that require medical assistance increases.

I would request the regular riders to share their experiences with amateurs enabling them to be better equipped to handle situations.

Views: 147

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Firstly, I would like to put on record, that every rider is advised to do the following.

On their Mobile phones directory, kindly add an entry by the name of ICE (incase of emergency) and against that name to add the contact number you wish to be contacted first, this is globally practiced, incase you land up in a situation where you are unable to call for help, a bystander coming to your assistance will know which number to call in case of emergency.

It is also recommended that you ride with some kind of Identification which has your blood group on it.
Hi Obaid...

i guess u are absolutely right....safety of riders on the raod is paramount & many of armatures (including me) don't realize that bike riding on Mumbai roads may look easy, but in reality you require a ceratin amount of skill & temperament to maneuver on the city roads. What happened with Sunil was unfortunate cause he is indeed an experienced rider & have rode with him in the Uttan ride. This discussion is indeed very important.
Hi Guys,
There is one thing I have noticed that there are cyclists who are on the forum for more than 3 months but they do not wear a helmet...Taking Sunil's situation, Please do not take it lightly, invest in a good helmet it is for your own safety. Take Care , Ride Safe. Faisal
Right Obaid. Done it. this is essential.
Carry with you a small waist pouch that contains essential first aid. Inspite of wearing a helmet you may injure your self in many places other than the head, so it is essential to carry the first aid with you. It should contain cotton, anti septic solution, anti septic ointment/spray, painkiller tablets, tweezer- to pull out dirt (if need be), elastic bandage - for sprains etc. You should also know how to use it.
There have been many occasions when i have had to use my first aid, for others.
Keep safety first, always wear a helmet and secure it tight.
At junctions and road intersections always move very cautiously. Make yourself conspicuous to other users on the road, so as to enable them to slow down and avoid you.
All this and more including the tips given by others will help you during crisis.
Keep your self calm and in charge of your situation. Try and assertain the severety of damage.
Having Your Name , Phone number & blood Group written on the Helmet is a very ESSENTIAL Feature in Armed forces & i have been practicing this since 20 yrs on my Motorbike Helmet ...now i will put it on my Cycling Helmet too ,

If one wants to keep it a secret or in case of Female riders they can write this info on the inside of the helmet with a punched sticker .

Also carrying a I Card that has all the above details helps in a good way .

Accidents are to be avoided at any cost during cycling ....since we are the worst loosers ...whose mistake dosent matter ....because a damage is a damage( injuries) ....& if its a physical one then we have to be aware about how much can we afford it in short & long term .

Riding in a GROUP is one of the BEST Practices since U get STRONGLY NOTICED ...if there is too much difference in speeds of Persons then make TWO / THREE Groups .

The ones who do high speeds can step down on the gears & increase their Cadence at the same time be with the Group .

Happy & Safe Riding Buddies Take Care .....CHEERS
What I say below is surely up for debate! Just my personal experience and I have done this in Bombay too.

I totally avoid riding on the edge of the road. If the road narrows, I stay on the lane till I have enough space to safely move over. The vehicles behind can obviously see you and even better when the group is larger. You don't need to risk doing a dangerous maneuver to accommodate them. If you ride on the edge then it encourages motorists to squeeze thru the gap increasing the chances of pushing you further towards the edge or at times off the road itself!
I agree with the above. Far too often, two & three wheelers will squeeze anyone (cyclists, pedestrians other two wheelers) off the edge of the road to get ahead.

I have seen that taking anywhere from 1/3 or 1/2 of the road towards the edge makes sense. Folks honk and glare, I just smile back!
A message I wrote here is missing!
'What I say below is surely up for debate! Just my personal experience and I have done this in Bombay too.

I totally avoid riding on the edge of the road. If the road narrows, I stay on the lane till I have enough space to safely move over. The vehicles behind can obviously see you and even better when the group is larger. You don't need to risk doing a dangerous maneuver to accommodate them. If you ride on the edge then it encourages motorists to squeeze thru the gap increasing the chances of pushing you further towards the edge or at times off the road itself!"

isn't it this one?
Great going guys, lets fill in further details on some defensive riding as well as some DOs and DONTs incase someone lands up in a situation.

Also i thing we need pointers to be categorized separately for training rides and for tours, as in for training rides or circuits in or close to the city we could have a recommended first-aid kit with bare minimum safety aids which would not add much bulk to the ride and would be more easier for every rider to have, alternately for longer tours some which happen in more remote areas, a more comprehensive kit could be carried by a few members of the group, which could be equipped to handle more situations of a in a better manner.

Hope i have conveyed my self.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Amit Bhowmik.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service