Indian Cyclists Network

When you go for one day long ride, which is close to or more than 100 km (round trip), on mostly flat tarmac roads, what do you come prepared with and what a new comer can expect. There can be lots of parameters involved based on the type of ride, but still please give your valuable inputs.

(Kindly copy and paste the below section it in your feedback to keep the feedback structure standard)

Type of bike used (M - MTB / R - RoadBike):
Average riding speed (km/h):
Min / Max at a stretch pedaling (kms):
Min / Max rest time in between:
Type of clothing for upper body:
Type of clothing for lower body:
Protective gears (helmets, etc.):
Type of quick snacks during ride, such as nuts, etc?:
Type of refreshment drinks, such as water, lemonade:
Tools to carry:

Kindly add additional parameter, as needed.

Thanks.

Views: 8261

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

sanjeev..gud topic..maybe some of our regular cycling gurus can enlighten us with their valuable gyaan....!!
Here's what I usually do
Type of bike used (M - MTB / R - RoadBike): R
Average riding speed (km/h): N/A
Min / Max at a stretch pedaling (kms): 50
Min / Max rest time in between: variable
Type of clothing for upper body: loose t-shirt
Type of clothing for lower body: half pant
Protective gears (helmets, etc.): helmet
Type of quick snacks during ride, such as nuts, etc?: none
Type of refreshment drinks, such as water, lemonade: water
Tools to carry: i don't carry any

That's how I ride. Definitely not the best way to ride. But, I just carry a bag containing a bottle or water or two. Nothing besides that even if I am riding alone.
Type of bike used (M - MTB / R - RoadBike): Road
Average riding speed (km/h): From 22kmph to 28kmph, depending on terrain and company
Min / Max at a stretch pedaling (kms): 50km
Min / Max rest time in between: Variable
Type of clothing for upper body: Jersey and base layer
Type of clothing for lower body: Bibs
Protective gears (helmets, etc.): Helmet and prescription glasses/prescription sun glasses, gloves
Type of quick snacks during ride, such as nuts, etc?: Bars and Enerzal
Type of refreshment drinks, such as water, lemonade: Enerzal and plain water
Tools to carry: Tyre levers, tube, patch kit and pump

Some cash and phone is a must. I also map my rides with a GPS.
Type of bike used (M - MTB / R - RoadBike): Any
Average riding speed (km/h): 20 - 25 Kmph
Min / Max at a stretch pedaling (kms): 25
Min / Max rest time in between: 5-10 Mins never sit in a place for too long move around
Type of clothing for upper body: T-shirt
Type of clothing for lower body: 3/4th's
Protective gears (helmets, etc.): Helmet, Knee pads, gloves
Type of quick snacks during ride, such as nuts, etc?: energy bar's
Type of refreshment drinks, such as water, lemonade: lemonade / glucose water/ water
Tools to carry: spare tyre, LN key, handy pump, etc
Indeed. Will Power and Real Interest are the basic ingredients :)
This data will hopefully help first timers joining the group event rides, so masakalli can come prepared, mentally, physically and mechanically ;)

Just go for a 10 km ride you will know what u need regarding clothes.Take helmet and googles. Eat whatever you want but eat lightly (prefer fruits or carb food). Don't need tools. In 50km you won't be far from population.If you are really interested no body can stop you.

talking abt speed, chk out bobby root. Bobby Root pedals his bike up to 86mph, pops a manual covering 300 feet! and then also does a nose manual!
How do you all carry around the repair kits/tools?
In a backpack or mounted on the frame?
i guess if u really break it down...

water bottels in the cage, better to have 2 cages for long rides.

the mini pump also attached to the top bike frame, spare tube & puncher repair kit in the mini saddle bag.

the idea is to hook all basic & portable items to the bike & carry the bare necessary in the backpack which might become a drag if you overload it on long rides & also depends on individual stamina.

a spare t-shirt & socks not a bad idea at all if one is wearing the cotton type which might get wet by all the sweat.

also seen a lot of guy's wearing 3/4th cargo's with lots of pockets to store yur mobile, wallet, energy bars etc.
I agree with Rajesh to carrying two bottles and the pump on the bike, and the tool kit in the saddle bag. Helps reduce the weight of the sack on your back.

However stuffing your cargo pockects with load (mobile, wallet, camera(!!!), chocloate bars, etc acts as dead weight on your legs. One might not feel it in the initial stages, but when we are down on energy and are going ahead just on will power, it pays to have every bit of weight in the proper place. Its out of experience.
Type of bike used (M - MTB / R - RoadBike): MTB
Average riding speed (km/h): 10-12 kms / hr
Min / Max at a stretch pedaling (kms): 10-15 kms
Min / Max rest time in between: approx 15 mins (mostly to rest those aching bottoms!!)
Type of clothing for upper body: light colored long sleeved t shirt (especially if you are riding during the day)
Type of clothing for lower body: shorts, preferably gel padded
Protective gears (helmets, etc.): Helmets and gel padded gloves
Type of quick snacks during ride, such as nuts, etc?: bananas, chocolates, chikki and some namkeen (these are essentials, otherwise howmuchever you hog, its never going to be too much coz you are going to burn it all up!!). However avoid too much oily stuff.
Type of refreshment drinks, such as water, lemonade: Tang
Tools to carry: repair and puncture kit and pump.
Road bike
25 to 30 kmph
I prefer not stopping at all. If at all, first stop at about 70-75 km. Prefer very short stops, about 5-10 min.
I wear a not too loose cotton-synthetic T-shirt.
Soft fabric Trousers cut at the knee with or without chamois padded cycling shorts.
Helmet and gloves. No socks if it rains.
I carry an 800ml water bottle with water and Electral.
I carry a capable pump mounted on the frame.
My saddle bag holds a spare tube, though I should also carry a patch kit. It also holds a mini multi-tool kit, tire levers, some cash and card, and a spare pouch of Electral.
I don't eat on my rides. Sometimes I carry a nutri-bar or a chocolate bar.
Stopping spoils my rhythm. I prefer going on and on, drinking a bit of water-electral every 25-30 km.

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Amit Bhowmik.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service